About Opera Anywhere’s HMS Pinafore at Heath Farm
The fourth collaboration between Gilbert & Sullivan and their first blockbuster hit was HMS Pinafore, or ‘The Lass That Loved a Sailor.’ The opera opened on 28 May 1878 at the Opera Comique in London and ran for 571 performances. It became a huge hit in England and America, and was copied illegally by dozens of performing companies.
Pinafore is one of the most popular Gilbert & Sullivan operas, perhaps because of its infectious tunes and generally well-constructed libretto. Drawing on several of his earlier ‘bab ballad’ poems, Gilbert embued HMS Pinafore with mirth and silliness in abundance. The opera’s gentle satire reprises and builds upon the love between members of different social classes.
The action takes place on the quarterdeck of HMS Pinafore, anchored at Portsmouth harbour.
This is a tale of mismatched love across different social classes. Josephine is the captain’s daughter and has fallen for lowly sailor Ralph. Yet her father has other ideas – he has promised her to Sir Joseph Porter, the First Lord of the Admiralty. Will love prevail? Climb aboard to find out, and enjoy a feast of fun along the way. Hip hip, hooray!
Company Artistic Director: Vanessa Woodward
Producer and General Manager: Mike Woodward
Production Director: Tristan Stocks
Musical Director: Nia Williams
Technical and Lighting Director: John Alcock
Woodwind: Nick Planas
Opera Anywhere’s HMS Pinafore is generously supported by Heath Farm Holiday Cottages.
Performance dates & times:
Saturday 13 August at 7.00pm
Sunday 14 August at 2.00pm and 6.00pm
Full price: £21.00
All prices include any booking fees.
The natural lakeside amphitheatre at Heath Farm Holiday Cottages.
Visitors will have access to the gardens and woodland surrounding the performance areas
Good to know
- The site and bar will be open from one hour before performance time.
- Bring picnic blankets/fold up chairs or hire a deck chair (select at checkout).
- The performance will run outside in most weather conditions, where it is safe to do so. Please dress appropriately.
- Visit the Heath Farm page on the Chipping Nortorn Theatre website for directions, access information and further information on the venue.
- Make your visit special by pre-ordering deluxe picnic boxes from Feast Grazing, including afternoon tea and children’s options. Choose your food at checkout.
- If you have already booked your tickets but would like to add picnic boxes or deck chairs to your order, please contact the Box Office on 01608 642350