There has been a theatre on George Street for almost 170 years. The first theatre was built in 1836, and a second in 1886. In 1934, the third New Theatre opened. The theatre has been owned by several different companies and undergone several name changes. It is now owned by the Ambassador Theatre Group and hosts everything from ballet and opera to musicals.