
More than 1,500 people have signed a petition opposing Oxfordshire County Council’s plans for a temporary congestion charge in Oxford, just 24 hours after it was launched, according to our Local Democracy Reporter Esme Kenney.
The petition follows an announcement by the council that its cabinet will consider introducing a temporary £5 daily charge for drivers using six key streets in the city without a permit. The proposal will be discussed at the cabinet meeting on Tuesday, 17 June.
The proposed charge would apply to Hythe Bridge Street, St Cross Road, Thames Street, and St Clement’s Street from 7.00am to 7.00pm daily, as well as Marston Ferry Road and Hollow Way from 7.00am to 9.00am and 3.00pm to 6.00pm, Monday to Saturday.
Read more: County Council unveils plans for a daily congestion charge on key Oxford roads
Describing the scheme as “completely unfair”, the petition argues that it would hit residents and businesses already struggling due to existing traffic measures such as the Low Traffic Neighbourhoods (LTNs) in East Oxford and Cowley, and the prolonged closure of Botley Road.
Councillor Saj Malik, who represents Cowley, launched the petition alongside Richard Parnham from the campaign group Reconnecting Oxford.
“The Oxford Congestion Charge is already proving to be really unpopular. There is a huge backlash,” said Councillor Malik. “If the council wants to cut congestion, all they need to do is take out the LTNs. They’ve manufactured this extra traffic themselves and caused bus journey times to be slower.”
Councillor Malik also criticised what he sees as an unfair distribution of restrictions across the city.
“As usual, we get the brunt of these restrictions in East Oxford. This is class warfare, plain and simple. The people who will suffer most are the poorest in society – and that’s just not right,” he said. “Councillors owe it to residents and business owners to ask their opinions and not just impose these things on us from on high.”
In response, Councillor Andrew Gant, cabinet member for transport management, said no final decision had been made.
“The council’s cabinet will be asked to approve the start of a public consultation on the charging scheme at our meeting on Tuesday 17 June,” he explained. “A consultation would give the council the opportunity to hear people’s views. Should we decide to continue to consultation, we would be particularly keen to understand the impact the scheme may have on residents and businesses.”
Councillor Gant defended the potential benefits of the proposed scheme, stating: “The benefits of this proposed scheme would be felt across the city: better bus services, safer walking and cycling, easier journeys for permit holders including carers, blue badge holders and traders, and cleaner air.
“I would say to politicians who oppose the idea, what alternatives are they proposing? The temporary charge locations would be exactly the same as the trial traffic filter locations which were designed to address overall through traffic.”
The traffic filters were originally intended to be introduced on these same streets, but the trial has been postponed until at least August 2026, when Botley Road is expected to reopen. In the meantime, the council has come under increasing pressure from bus companies to address growing congestion.
If the cabinet approves the congestion charge next week, a formal consultation is expected to launch on 23 June, with the charge potentially coming into effect as early as this autumn.
Exemptions to the scheme would mirror those proposed for the traffic filters, including allowances for blue badge holders, unpaid carers, and students with special educational needs.
While the charge would apply to cars – including electric vehicles – it would not affect other vehicle types. Additional permits would also be available for residents, their visitors, and people who work within the designated central area.
Oxfordshire County Council were contacted for further comment.















