About Hampton Court Palace
Set on the edge of the River Thames – 12 miles upstream from Central London, Hampton Court Palace in Surrey was originally a Tudor palace created for Cardinal Thomas Wolsey in the early 16th century. The Cardinal gifted the palace to King Henry VIII, and following a period of massive rebuilding and expansion, it became home to Henry VIII and his six wives.
King George II was the last monarch to reside in the palace (until his death in 1760), and the palace was opened to the public in 1838 by Queen Victoria. Hampton Court Palace is surrounded by beautiful gardens and includes a celebrated maze. Open all year round, except 24 to 26 December; Hampton Court Palace is 60 miles (1 hour 10 minutes) drive from Oxford.