fbpx
The Oxford Magazine is launching a new digital print magazine.
The Oxford Magazine is launching a new digital print magazine.

St Mary-le-More Church, Wallingford

St Mary-le-More Church, Wallingford
Market Place
Wallingford
OX10 0EG
01491 202188

About St Mary-le-More, Wallingford

The church you now see in the Market Place was largely rebuilt in 1854 at a cost of £2,400, but a church on this site goes back to the Norman times (with a rebuild at the end of the 13th Century).

The last major renewal took place in 2009/10. The tower was rebuilt in 1653, following consideravble damage in a thunderstorm, partly re-using stones from Wallingford Castle, demolished a year earlier on the orders of Cromwell.

The churches of St Mary-le-More and St Leonard’s in Wallingford, with St Agatha’s & St James’ in Brightwell-cum-Sotwell and St Mary Magdalene in Crowmarsh Gifford form the Wallingford Team in the Church of England, Diocese of Oxford.

Together, all provide a strong Christian community ministering to the needs of all. They welcome anyone to services and activities, whether visiting or living in the area.



More from The Oxford Magazine