About The Beacon Wantage
The Beacon is a community centre in Wantage offering live events, cinema screenings, room hire, coffee shop, children’s parties, class timetable, receptions and more.
As a vibrant gathering place for the local community, it offers a varied programme of events from film screenings, live music, theatre and stand-up comedy to a range of classes and workshops.
At The Beacon, there is also a regular programme of events for the local community to participate in and enjoy, including stand-up comedy, live music, theatre productions, guest speakers, film screenings and pantomime.
The coffee shop is open from Monday to Saturday, and offers a wide range of hot and cold drinks, with handmade cakes and sandwiches to have in or take away.
There is a choice of five rooms available for hire, including a large auditorium, a dance studio and three other function rooms – The Beacon is the ultimate, flexible space, whatever your requirements.
The Beacon is located just off the town centre in Wantage within the Portway car park
Portway Public Car Park (OX12 9BU) is outside The Beacon. It is open 24 hours a day and chargeable from Monday to Saturday (including bank holidays) from 8:00 am until 6:00 pm. It is free on Sundays.
Please note that a valid ticket must be displayed at all times during the charging period – including for the free two hours. Disabled badge holders can park free of charge (unlimited time limit), providing they display their badge. If all disabled bays are full a standard bay may be used. Please note that this is a public car park and can fill up quickly.
If you wish to cycle to The Beacon there is a bicycle rack outside the building.
Inside The Beacon
- Automatic doors lead into the well-lit reception area.
- There is ample room within the reception area for a large wheelchair/pushchair to manoeuvre and turn.
- There is a lowered section of the information desk.
- The coffee shop is on the ground floor and is fully accessible, ramped access is available to the outside seating area.
- All toilets are located on the ground floor. In addition to separate male and female facilities there is a unisex accessible toilet; with transfer space to the left of the toilet. An ambulant accessible toilet cubicle is also available in the male and female toilets.