About Magdalen College School
Magdalen College School is a remarkable place. We are now well into our sixth century, and our former pupils include scholars, war heroes, musicians, Olympians, two Nobel Prize laureates, a Hollywood film director, and a saint.
Our success in public examinations, in securing places at top universities, and in an astonishing array of extra-curricular pursuits ensure that we continue this proud tradition. We do so by nurturing the individual potential of each of our pupils, and above all we believe that learning is as fun as it is fulfilling.
Magdalen College School was founded in 1480 by William Waynflete: schoolmaster, bishop of Winchester and Lord Chancellor of England. Being of humble origins, Waynflete was determined that others of ability should be given the opportunity to learn, to serve and to prosper as he did. And so MCS offers a transformative education in our global university city, the community to which we contribute.
We remain true to Waynflete’s legacy today. Although our current pupils may not aspire to any or all of the vocations listed above, we aim to inspire them to flourish in life by flourishing here.
Our pastoral system is designed to ensure the welfare and happiness of every pupil.
- The six houses are each drawn from a different geographical area.
- Pupils see their Tutor or Housemaster at least twice a day.
- The whole school meets daily in Chapel.
- Pupils can see the Master without appointment.
The day is devised to maximise the contribution which home life can make in the learning process.
Many pupils need extra help with particular aspects of their learning at some stage in their school career.
We place a high priority on providing the best possible support for pupils with special educational needs, including:
- close communication between tutors, parents and teachers
- regular assessment and testing
- screening of Junior School boys in year 5
- provision for assessment by an Educational Psychologist
- one-to-one teaching sessions as necessary
- support from specialist subject teachers and outside agencies
- Individual Education Plans for all pupils on the Learning Support roll.
MCS boasts a huge co-curricular and extra-curricular programme.