The Oxford University Rugby Football Club (Oxford University RFC or OURFC) is the rugby union club of the University of Oxford.
The University of Oxford RFC was founded in 1869, some fifteen months before the foundation of the Rugby Football Union. And since its formation, OURFC has played a significant role in the development of rugby and the various significant changes the game has undertaken.
The Oxford University Women’s Rugby Football Club (Oxford University WRFC or OUWRFC) was founded in 1988 but officially became part of OURFC in May 2015 to form one ‘University Rugby Club’ with both men’s and women’s teams.
OURFC currently has three men’s teams – the Blues, Greyhounds (2nd XV) and Whippets (3rd XV), whilst the women have two – the Blues and the Panthers (2nd XV).
All five teams are ‘Open Age’ and play a Varsity Match against their respective Cambridge opposition. In addition, there is a Men’s U20’s Varsity Match which forms part of a Double Header with the Women’s 2nd XV Varsity Match.
The ground hosts all Men’s Blues home matches, which include Premiership teams, touring sides and the occasional international fixture and also all the Women’s Blues home matches – they currently play in BUCS Premier South and play most games on Wednesday afternoons.
Iffley Road also hosts the Oxfordshire County Cup and Shield Finals, invitational 7’s tournament and in May, the conclusion of the inter-collegiate 15-a-side season with ‘Cuppers Super Finals Day’.
The site was acquired by OURFC in the 1890s. The moving spirit behind this came from the Honorary Treasurer C.N. Jackson, known as ‘The Jacker’, who knew the importance of University Sports Clubs having their own ground. The site, which included the now Grade II listed cricket pavilion, was purchased from Christ Church College for £1,000.
The New Football Ground, as it was known, was shared with Oxford University Football club until 1921, before they moved to the adjacent site inside the athletics track, where they still play today.