02 December All day
About Thame Christmas Lights Switch-on 2022
Thame Christmas Lights Switch-On 2022 is currently scheduled for Friday 02 December. The details of Thame’s Christmas event for 2022 will be published on this page nearer the time.
In recent years, the event has been an evening of festive entertainment – with Santa’s Grotto, gift stalls, refreshments, carol singing, and more. And the primary schools parading their beautifully created lanterns down the High Street- is a sight not to be missed.
In 2020, the event did not go ahead in Thame. Instead, a ‘Thame Advent Calendar’ booklet of events and activities for the town to enjoy was delivered through each door in Thame.
In 2021, an event was hosted by Paddy Harris (Cornerstone Church) and Anthony Taylor (Grace Church) with:
- Music brought to you by Thame Concert Band
- Mulled wine available from OX9ers
- Stilt walkers
- Santa will turn on the lights at 6.00pm alongside three children – one each from the local primary schools.
- Late night shopping until 7.00pm
As part of the year’s switch-on, the organisers had hundreds of gifts under the tree, donated by the people of Thame, for people in need.
The gifts were new and unopened, and with best-before dates after Christmas for food in three categories:
- A wrapped toy/game for a child with a tag attached to say the age and gender of the child that the gift would suit. The Red Kite Centre and Thomley Hall helped to distribute these.
- Cosmetic and clothing items for Love in a Bag Thame to distribute to the homeless and vulnerable.
- Long-life tins and food to support local refugee families through Asylum Welcome in Oxford and other agencies. Refugee children also received gifts and toys.