Government injects £2.5bn funding into East West Rail connecting Oxford and Cambridge

Edited by

on



The UK government has confirmed a further £2.5 billion in funding to continue delivering the East West Rail project, which will link Oxford and Cambridge via key locations including Bicester, Milton Keynes, and Bedford.

The announcement was made by Chancellor Rachel Reeves on Wednesday, 11 June, as part of the government’s comprehensive spending review. The newly confirmed funds come in addition to the £6 billion already committed to the scheme, and will be allocated during the review period.

Services between Oxford and Milton Keynes are expected to begin soon, with train testing currently underway, based on coverage provided by Local Democracy Reporter Esme Kenney.

Councillor Judy Roberts, Cabinet Member for Place, Environment and Climate Action at Oxfordshire County Council, welcomed the investment. She said the East West Rail line “provides a ‘backbone’” for future integrated transport in the region.

“We welcome the continued commitment from the government to progress East West Rail through to Cambridge, which builds on previous budget commitments and delivery of the route between Oxford and Milton Keynes, expected to open soon following current train testing,” she said.

Government injects £2.5bn funding into East West Rail connecting Oxford and Cambridge with services between Oxford and Milton Keynes expected to begin soon
Government injects £2.5bn funding into East West Rail connecting Oxford and Cambridge with services between Oxford and Milton Keynes expected to begin soon

“East West Rail effectively provides a ‘backbone’ for developing a wider regional integrated sustainable transport network, and it will be important that Oxfordshire works with those on the scheme to provide high-quality first mile/last mile connectivity from key stations along the route.

“It will also be important to maximise the benefits of development for East West Rail through delivering economic, social and environmental benefits, as well as onward rail connections, for example to Swindon and Bristol.

“This includes delivery of a fully decarbonised passenger and freight railway at the next stage of development, with supporting investment in electrification infrastructure and high-quality new trains, including for use between Oxford and Milton Keynes.”

Calum Miller, MP for Bicester and Woodstock, also expressed his support for the project and welcomed the government’s renewed commitment.

“I welcome the Government’s confirmation in the Spending Review of the £2.5 billion for the next phase of the East West Rail project,” he said.

“It’s crucial that East West Rail deliver the funding to keep London Road open and I will continue pressing the company and Rail Ministers to commit to an underpass for all modes of light transport.”

Earlier this month, Mr Miller presented a petition to Parliament calling for the London Road level crossing in Bicester to remain open to vehicles. The petition had gathered 4,526 signatures from local residents.

The government’s spending review also included a £3.5 billion allocation for upgrades to the TransPennine rail route connecting York, Leeds and Manchester, a £39 billion investment in affordable housing over the next ten years, and a 2.3 per cent annual increase in police spending power.

The Department for Transport was contacted for comment.


Latest news


Trending news




More from The Oxford Magazine