Ahlam Saeid’s Green Rice Recipe from Together: Our Community Cookbook – a stunning charity cookbook in aid of the Hubb Community Kitchen that was set up by women whose community was affected by the Grenfell Tower fire.
- 500g lamb neck fillet or boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 litre chicken stock (made with 2 stock cubes)
- 300g basmati rice
- 250g frozen broad beans
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 40g fresh dill, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp dried dill
- 1 cucumber, coarsely grated
- 500g full-fat natural yoghurt
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Place the lamb and stock in a large pan and bring to the boil. Skim off the foam on the surface, reduce the heat to medium-low and gently simmer for 1 hour (or 1½ hours if you are using lamb shoulder), until cooked through.
- Wash the rice and leave to soak for 30 minutes. Blanch the broad beans in a pan of boiling water for 2–3 minutes, drain and refresh under cold water. Remove the outer skins.
- When the lamb is cooked, drain and reserve the stock. Heat half of the oil in a heavy-based pan and fry the garlic until it just starts to colour. Add the cooked lamb and fry for 5–6 minutes until evenly browned, stirring all the time. Add the broad beans and half of the fresh and dried dill and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate, set aside, and keep warm.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining oil on low-medium heat. Drain the rice and add to the pan, stirring until all the grains are coated with oil. Add 500ml of the meat stock, bring to a simmer, cover with a tight-fitting lid, then turn the heat to the lowest setting and cook for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the yoghurt sauce. Mix the grated cucumber and yoghurt in a bowl. Season to taste. Sprinkle with the dried dill and drizzle with the olive oil.
- When the rice is ready, stir it with a fork to fluff it. Add the rest of the fresh and dried dill, the reserved meat and broad beans, and stir gently. Add a little of the reserved stock if you need extra moisture and cook on a low heat for about 8 minutes. Serve immediately, with the cucumber, dill and yoghurt sauce.
This Ahlam Saeid's Green Rice Recipe is from Together: Our Community Cookbook a stunning charity cookbook by a group of women who gathered together in the aftermath of the Grenfell Tower fire to cook fresh food for their families and neighbours. All profits from the sales of this cookbook will benefit the Hubb Community Kitchen.