These deliciously spicy barbecued chilli chicken drumsticks can be served hot or cold, and are perfect for small and large groups.
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 150ml (1/4 pint) vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves, skinned and roughly chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, skinned and chopped
- 45ml (3 tbsp) natural yoghurt
- 15ml (1 tbsp) tomato puree
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground turmeric
- 2.5ml (1/2 tsp) chilli powder
- 2.5ml (1/2 tsp) salt
- Skin the drumsticks, then slash the flesh with a sharp, pointed knife.
- Make the marinade by blending the remaining ingredients in a food processor to a smooth paste.
- Put the drumsticks in a single layer in a shallow container, then pour over the marinade. COver and leave for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight. Turn the drumstick occasionally and baste with the marinade.
- Put the marinated drumsticks on the barbecue and grill for 20 minutes, turning frequently and basting them with the marinade until nicely charred on all sides.
- Serve hot or cold.
Recipe notes by Elizabeth Gibbs
This spicy barbecued chilli chicken drumsticks and are perfect if you have to cater for a large group. You can barbecue the chicken, well before your guests arrive, and either serve them cold or keep them warm in an oven or under a covered grill (on a low heat so they remain moist).
If you prefer, you can leave the skin on the chicken.
I have used half a tablespoon of chilli powder in my marinade, but you can alter the amount to chilli powder you use.
If the weather does not allow you to barbecue the chicken outdoors, just place the drumsticks on a baking tray and cook under a grill or in an oven.
This recipe works just as well with chicken thighs too.