Looking for a tasty midweek dinner option? Try this Chinese Five-Spice Chicken Stir-Fry with Brown Rice for a balanced and tasty dinner.
- 150g brown basmati rice
- 1 red pepper
- 2-3 spring onions
- 1 garlic clove
- 6 baby corns (80g approx)
- 1 bunch(es) coriander
- 1.5 limes
- 280g diced chicken breast
- 1-2 tsp Chinese five-spice
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1/4 cup honey (approx 85g)
Cook the rice
- Cook the rice according to pack instructions or as per following
- Add boiling water from a kettle to a large saucepan along with a pinch of salt and bring back to the boil.
- When boiling, stir in the brown rice and cook for 25 minutes. TIP: Add more water if it starts to evaporate too much.
- When cooked, drain in a sieve then return to the pan off the heat. Cover with a lid to keep warm.
Prepare the veggies
- Halve then remove the core from the red pepper and thinly slice.
- Trim the spring onion and thinly slice.
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Halve the baby corns lengthways, roughly chop the coriander (stalks and all), zest the lime and cut in half.
Prepare the chicken
- Pop the diced chicken into a mixing bowl. Season with salt and the Chinese five-spice.
- Use your hands to rub the flavours all over the chicken. Remember to wash your hands and equipment after handling raw meat.
Prepare the sauce
- Pour the cornflour into a medium bowl. Add an equal amount of water and stir until it forms into a smooth paste.
- Add the juice of the lime into the bowl. Mix in the soy sauce, 75ml water, half the lime zest and the honey. Keep to one side.
Make the stir-fry
- Heat a splash of oil in a frying pan over high heat. When hot, stir-fry the chicken until browned, 5 minutes.
- Add the pepper and corn, cook for another 5 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Pour in the sauce, stir together and cook until the sauce has thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Check that the chicken is cooked i.e. it is no longer pink in the middle. TIP: If your sauce is a bit thick, add a splash more water.
- Transfer the rice to a large mixing bowl. Add the spring onion, half the coriander and the remaining lime zest. Stir together well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Share the rice between your bowls.
- Spoon the stir-fry on top of your rice and sprinkle over the remaining coriander.
For a balanced and tasty dinner, try this Chinese Five-Spice Chicken Stir-Fry with Brown Rice. This tasty midweek dinner option can be ready in as little as 30 minutes.
Chinese five-spice is basically a mix of star anise, cloves, Sichuan peppercorn, fennel seeds, and cinnamon.