A coconut chicken curry recipe by Aysha Bora from Together: Our Community Cookbook – a stunning charity cookbook in aid of the Hubb Community Kitchen that was set up by women whose community was affected by the Grenfell Tower fire.
- 1 large chicken, jointed into 8 pieces, excess skin trimmed away
- 1 large ripe tomato, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, quartered
- 15g fresh root ginger, peeled
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 6 serrano chillies, stems removed and de-seeded (use fewer if you prefer milder curries)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 x 400ml tins coconut milk
- 3 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled and halved
- juice of ½ lemon
- salt and pepper
- 10g fresh coriander, chopped, to garnish
- rice, chapatis or flatbreads, to serve
- Score each piece of the chicken in two or three places, slicing about 1cm into the meat.
- Put the tomato, onion, ginger, garlic, chillies, cumin, coriander, turmeric and some salt and pepper into a food processor and blend to a rough paste. Rub one third of the paste all over the chicken, into the cuts and under the skin; reserve the rest of the mixture.
- Refrigerate the chicken for at least 1 hour, or up to 5 hours.
- Preheat the grill to the highest setting, and line a large baking tin with foil.
- In a large pan, melt the coconut oil on a medium heat; add the remaining paste and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until all of the moisture evaporates. Increase the heat slightly and cook for 3–5 minutes until the paste is thick and dark. Add the coconut milk and simmer for 25–30 minutes until the sauce is thick.
- Meanwhile, put the marinated chicken, skin side up, in the lined baking tin and grill for 15 minutes, until well coloured and charred, then turn the chicken over and grill for another 5 minutes to make sure it is cooked through.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Add the boiled eggs and the lemon juice to taste. Sprinkle with the chopped coriander and serve with rice, chapatis or flatbreads.
This coconut chicken curry recipe comes from Together: Our Community Cookbook a stunning charity cookbook by a group of women who gathered together in the aftermath of the Grenfell Tower fire to cook fresh food for their families and neighbours.
All profits from the sales of this cookbook will benefit the Hubb Community Kitchen so be sure to buy yourself a copy here.