In this Roast Lamb with Minted Gravy recipe, sweet, tender lamb is infused with the flavours of fresh rosemary and caramelised roasted garlic, and served with gravy made with the pan juices, sweet garlic pulp, lamb stock and mint sauce.
- 2 to 2¼kg leg of lamb
- 1 large whole garlic bulb
- 6 sprigs of rosemary
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 500ml lamb stock
- 1 tablespoon ready-made mint sauce, plus extra for serving
- Pre-heat oven 190°C/170°C fan/Gas Mark 5.
- Remove the leaves from the rosemary sprigs and chop finely. Combine the rosemary with the butter, finely chopped garlic cloves, salt and pepper.
- Make around 20 small incisions in the skin of the lamb and rub over the rosemary and garlic mixture. Place the lamb into the roasting tin herb-side up with the whole garlic bulb alongside.
- Roast for 1 hour 40 minutes to 2 hours, basting 2 or 3 times during cooking. Time will depend on the size of joint and how well-done you like it cooked.
- Remove the lamb onto a warmed dish, cover with foil and rest for 25 to 30 minutes before carving.
To make the gravy
- Skim away and discard any unwanted fat from the cooking juices.
- Remove the roasted garlic and squeeze the pulp from the skin into a saucepan.
- Combine the skimmed cooking juices with the flour and mix to a paste.
- Whisk in the stock with the mint sauce and bring to a simmer, stirring until thickened.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste.
Slice the rested lamb thickly and serve with the gravy and some extra mint sauce served separately.
To make your own mint sauce, combine 3 tablespoons of freshly chopped mint with 4 tablespoons of white balsamic vinegar and season with some salt. If darker gravy is preferred, add a few drops of liquid gravy browning when adding the stock.
Why not break with tradition and accompany with Yorkshire puddings flavoured with rosemary alongside the vegetables?
About this recipe
This Rosemary & Garlic Roast Lamb with Minted Gravy recipe is courtesy of Le Creuset UK. You'll find your nearest Le Creuset store at
Le Creuset Outlet Store
Unit 128D, 50 Pringle Drive, Bicester Village,
Bicester, Oxfordshire OX26 6WD