About the OC Tanner Building at Linacre College
The OC Tanner Building is one of the main buildings on the main site of Linacre College – a graduate college of the University of Oxford with a wholly interdisciplinary and international student body.
Founded in 1962 and named after Thomas Linacre (c.1460-1524), a distinguished humanist, medical scientist and classicist, the college has more than 550 graduate students and more than 50 Fellows – the majority of whom are from outside the UK and represent 100+ different countries.
Set in the delightful surroundings of parks and playing fields, the college’s main site is located next to the University Parks and adjacent to the university’s science area, within easy reach of all principal university departments and libraries, and only five minutes’ walk from the centre of Oxford.
The building – named in honour of Professor Obert C Tanner, who was an Honorary Fellow of Linacre College – comprises:
- 11 single study bedrooms with washbasins
- 4 single study bedrooms without washbasins
- 1 single study bedroom with an ensuite
- 4 single study bedrooms with washbasins
- 2 double bedrooms
- Shared kitchens, toilets and shower facilities
The building is also where the common room, dining hall and staff offices are located.
Public rooms at the OC Tanner Building
There are three public rooms in the building, namely.
- The Tanner Room – named in honour of Professor Obert C. Tanner
- The Nadel Room – in honour of Dr Benjamin Nadel, alumnus (1962), a lawyer in the US
- The Carolyn Tanner Irish Room – named in honour of The Rt Rev’d Carolyn Tanner Irish, an alumna (1964) and Honorary Fellow of Linacre College. She is also the daughter of Professor Obert Tanner.