Since opening the first GAIL’s in 2005, the team behind London’s most inviting artisan bakery has been on a mission to bring high-quality, handmade bread and delicious vibrant food to local communities. In this, their first, stunning cookbook, GAIL’s take us through the day with inventive, fresh recipes.
This abundant recipe book brings the spirit of GAIL’s alive. It starts with the essential how-to’s of mixing, kneading and shaping loaves before going on to offer over 100 varied savoury and sweet recipes inspired by the simplicity of cooking good bread and all the delicious mealtime possibilities around it.
GAIL’s will encourage you to try your hand at a basic foolproof bloomer, bake a satisfying sourdough, create morning muffins and pastries, bold salads, flavoursome pies, appetizing tarts and sandwiches, easy afternoon biscuits and cakes, and finally cook delicious savoury meals and desserts for supper.
Simply divided into Baker’s Essentials, Bread, Breakfast, Lunch, Tea and Supper, the GAIL’s Cookbook includes:
- White poppy seed bloomer
- French dark sourdough
- Wholemeal loaf
- Brioche plum and ginger pudding
- Buckwheat pancakes with caramelised apples and salted butter honey
- Pizza Bianca with violet artichokes and burrata
- Truffle, raclette and roast shallot toastie
- Teatime sandwiches
- Savoury scones & fruit scones
- Red quinoa and smokey aubergine yoghurt salad
- Baked sardines with sourdough crumbs and heritage tomato salad
- Fregola and chicken salad
- Baked bread and chicken soup
- Tuna Nicoise on toast
- Sourdough lasagna
- Root vegetable and Fontina bake
- Leek and goat’s cheese picnic loaf
- Brown sourdough ice cream with raspberry
GAIL’s Artisan Bakery Cookbook is published by Ebury Press.
From the authors
We love our craft so much that we’ve put it into words. We’re excited that we’ve written our first cookbook and to share our passion with whoever would like to read it.
The book’s story follows morning bakes through to after dinner puddings. Some might say it’s more or less a day in the life of a bakery. Our cookbook isn’t about following a recipe for the perfect loaf or cake, it’s about unleashing the creativity within each of us as a home baker, in the comfort of our own homes and in the company of good friends and family.
If you pick up a copy, we hope it brings out the inner creator in you. Of course, if you want any tips or tricks, give us a shout at firstname.lastname@example.org