Try this Fresh Basil Pesto Recipe for an easy-to-make homemade pesto that is fresh, vibrant and green. It pairs perfectly with pasta, chicken, fish and salads. And what’s more, you can whip up a batch in under 15 minutes.
Prep time: 5 Mins
Cook time: 5 Mins
Yield: A lot
- 300g fresh basil, just trim the very ends of the stalks off
- 125g pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 100g Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated
- 300ml extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a small frying pan over a low heat and cook the pine nuts until golden, shaking occasionally.
- Add the basil and the nuts to a food processor and pulse several times – just enough to tear the basil leaves.
- Add the garlic and Parmigiano-Reggiano and pulse several times more. You might need to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula.
- Gradually pour in olive oil while the food processor is running slowly until you get a good consistency – not too runny, not too solid. You may not need all the oil.
- Stir in the seasoning, taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Fresh Basil Pesto is best made to taste, so do keep adjusting this Fresh Basil Pesto recipe ingredients until you find 'your' taste.
- You can substitute half of the basil with baby leaf spinach to mellow out the taste of the basil.
- Even better use wild garlic if you can find some. It's usually available in the late spring months. It has a lighter flavour than traditional bulb garlic.