This gorgeous Moroccan Crusted Salmon with Asparagus, Rocket and Preserved Lemon Salad uses one of the most cherished ingredients of the spring season, asparagus.
Ingredientsfor the salmon
- 1 tsp crushed cumin seeds
- 1 tsp crushed coriander seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp soft light muscovado sugar
- small bunch parsley roughly chopped
- cracked black pepper
- 4 pieces of salmon fillet, scales removed
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bundles of asparagus trimmed
- 1 preserved lemon, seeds and flesh removed
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes cut into chunks
- 2 handfuls rocket washed
- 4 tbsp Greek yogurt extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 180°c or gas mark 6.
- In a bowl, mix the cumin, coriander, sesame seeds, paprika, allspice, sugar and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the mixture all over the flesh side of the salmon and drizzle over the olive oil.
- Bring a medium-sized pan of salted water to the boil. Place in the asparagus and cook for 2 minutes. Drain then cool and set aside.
- In a hot non-stick frying pan seal the salmon skin side down first, then place in the oven for 6-8 minutes.
- While you are waiting for the salmon to cook, chop the lemon skin and place in a medium-sized bowl. Then add the asparagus, shallots, chilli, tomatoes, rocket and a splash of extra virgin olive oil, season and mix.
- When the salmon is cooked, divide between 4 warm plates, top with the salad. Finish with a spoonful of yoghurt, cracked pepper and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
*Look out for Beldi Preserved Lemon available in Sainsbury, Waitrose or at belazu.com
Dawn Davies, Sommelier at Selfridges in London suggests the following wine to accompany this recipe - Cape Mentelle Sauvignon Blanc Semillon