This Roast Citrus, Ginger & Honey Chicken recipe is very simple to make, and it looks pretty spectacular, as the chicken turns dark and glossy because of the honey, and orange wedges become nicely caramelized at the edges..
IngredientsFor the chicken
- 1.8kg (4lb) chicken
- 250ml (9fl oz) orange juice
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tbsp hot sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 2.5cm (1in) root ginger, peeled and grated
- finely grated zest of 2 oranges
- salt and pepper
- 200ml (7fl oz) chicken stock or water, if needed
- 4 thin-skinned oranges
- olive oil
- a little ground ginger
- a little soft light brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5. Put the chicken into a roasting tin in which it can lie snugly; if it’s too big, the cooking juices round the bird will burn. Whisk the rest of the ingredients for the chicken (except the stock or water) in a jug. Pour some of this inside the bird, then pour two-thirds of the rest over it, reserving the remainder. Roast for 45 minutes.
- Cut the thin-skinned oranges into wedges and put them into an ovenproof dish where they can lie in a single layer. Sprinkle with olive oil, ground ginger and seasoning and turn them over in this, then sprinkle the sugar on top. Roast alongside the chicken for one hour.
- When the chicken has cooked for 45 minutes, take it out of the oven, scoop up the sticky juices around it with a spoon and spread them over the skin. Add the rest of the orange juice mixture to the juices in the tin, stirring well to help them blend, then roast for another 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, put on a warm platter and let the chicken rest for 15 minutes. If the juices seem too thick or intense, add the stock or water to the tin, set it over a high heat and bring to the boil, stirring to dislodge the sticky bits. Serve in a jug. Add the orange wedges to the chicken platter and take it to the table.
About this recipe
This Roast Citrus, Ginger & Honey Chicken recipe is from SIMPLE: effortless food, big flavours. A cookbook by Diana Henry.