The sweet, sticky apples, perfectly complemented by the flavour of the nutty almonds, this apple and almond cake is a real autumnal mouth-waterer.
IngredientsFor the cake
- 12/15 x dessert apples
- 315g butter
- 275g sugar
- 315g ground almonds
- 190g Self raising flour
- 100g wholemeal flour
- 25g rye flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 70ml milk (approx)
- Flaked almonds (optional)
- 50g butter
- 2x tabs sugar
- Melt 50g butter in a large shallow pan and once it is bubbling, add the sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Add the apple slices, in batches if necessary and cook until slightly soft and starting to colour but ideally retaining their shape.
- Set aside to cool.
- Retain the buttery juices for later.
- Cream the butter and sugar well, until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla & almond extract and mix again..
- Then add all the remaining ingredients and mix well to achieve a reluctant dropping consistency.
- Put two-thirds of the mixture in the lined cake tin.
- Add a thick layer of the apples followed by the remaining mixture.
- Decorate the top with the remaining apple slices and push them slightly into the mix.
- Bake at 160ºC (fan) for approx 55mins or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Toast the flaked almonds (if using) on a baking sheet in the oven for approx 10 mins until lightly golden.
- Warm up the buttery juices and brush over the top of the cake, then sprinkle on the toasted flaked almonds.
Summer has gone and sadly so has Chef Penny’s Blueberry, Lime & Thyme cake (don’t worry it will still be popping up in the Yurt Cake Cabinet every now and then). No need to fret though, to replace it we now have Chef Penny’s Apple & Almond cake, which is the ideal autumnal treat. With the sweet, sticky apples, perfectly complemented by the flavour of the nutty almonds, this cake is a real mouth-waterer.