This Apple and Blackberry Frangipane Recipe is an absolute favourite. The rich almond sponge has all the flavour and moistness that a flour-based sponge lacks and it’s a good carrier for tart, seasonal fruits.
- 2 apples (about 400g), core removed, cut into thin wedges
- 300g blackberries or other fruit
- 400g butter, slightly softened
- 400g caster sugar
- 400g ground almonds
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 12 amaretti biscuits (optional)
- Live yoghurt to serve
- Preheat oven 180˚C/ Gas Mark 4
- To make the frangipane, cream the butter and sugar together then mix in the ground almonds and egg and beat until smooth. Spread the frangipane mixture evenly in the roaster.
- Place the apple wedges in three rows on top of the frangipane and scatter the blackberries evenly across the surface.
- Bake in a hot oven for 30 minutes or until the frangipane has risen and is golden.
- If using, serve with crushed amaretti biscuits sprinkled over the top and a blob of yoghurt on the side.
Frangipane is delicious made with any seasonal fruit, so replace the apples and blackberries as you like. It’s a great way to use any over-ripe fruit left in your fruit bowl.
Frangipane keeps very well in a tub outside or inside the fridge for up to five days and makes the most wonderful breakfast.
Live yoghurt contains good bacteria, which are great for gut health. It’s delicious used as an alternative to cream on desserts.
About this recipe
This Apple and Blackberry Frangipane recipe is courtesy of Le Creuset UK. You'll find your nearest Le Creuset store at
Le Creuset Outlet Store
Unit 128D, 50 Pringle Drive, Bicester Village,
Bicester, Oxfordshire OX26 6WD