This traditional Apple and Cherry Pie is made with a wholemeal pastry and bakes beautifully in a shallow casserole. Serve straight from the oven to the table in the casserole or allow the pie to cool and place onto a cake plate to have with tea.
- 14 dessert apples or 8 Bramley apples, cored, peeled and sliced
- 350g bag frozen pitted cherries
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 150g brown spelt flour
- 150g plain flour
- 30g caster sugar
- 180g salted butter, diced
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- Flour to roll the pastry out
- 1egg white, to glaze
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- Preheat the oven 220°C/ Fan 190°C/ Gas Mark 5.
- Place half of the sliced apples into a bowl and cover them with the lemon juice to prevent them from browning.
- Place the remaining half of the apples into the shallow casserole and cook over a medium heat on the hob until the apples are soft. Once the apples are cooked leave them to cool.
- Next make the pastry by placing the flour, sugar and butter in a bowl and rub the ingredients together to form breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and water to the mixture, then use a knife to bind the pastry together.
- Knead the pastry into a flat disc, wrap in clingfilm and then place into the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Once the pastry has finished chilling preheat the oven to 200°C/ Fan 180°C/ Gas Mark 6 with a baking tray in the oven.
- Take 2/3’s of the pastry and place it onto a floured work surface. Roll out the pastry into a 27cm circle and place the circle into the base of the shallow casserole. Brush the edge of the pastry with some water, the pastry should slightly overhang the edge of the casserole.
- Place the uncooked apples in the base of the pastry case and then place the soft, cooked apples atop followed by the frozen cherries.
- Roll the remaining pastry out to approximately 16cm wide x 24cm long and then cut the pastry into 16 x 1cm long strips.
- Place the strips on top of the pie creating a lattice effect. Seal the edges down by squeezing them together and then trim away any excess pastry.
- Brush the top of the pie with the egg white and then sprinkle with the tablespoon of caster sugar.
- Place the pie into the preheated oven on the warmed baking tray and bake until the pastry is crisp and the fruit is soft. This should take approximately 45-50 minutes.
Substitute the apples and cherries for any seasonal fruits, for example, pears or plums.
Add in 50g of walnuts or hazelnuts, this will add a lovely crunch to the pie.
About this recipe
This Deep Dish Lattice Apple and Cherry Pie recipe is courtesy of Le Creuset UK. You'll find your nearest Le Creuset store at
Le Creuset Outlet Store
Unit 128D, 50 Pringle Drive, Bicester Village,
Bicester, Oxfordshire OX26 6WD