A rich almond sponge cake topped with pieces of apple, fresh raspberries and a buttery, almond, cinnamon-spiced streusel topping, finished with a generous dusting of icing sugar. Cut into squares or fingers and serve with coffee.
- 55g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 40g butter
- 70g Demerara sugar
- 30g nibbed/chopped almonds
- 115g butter, softened
- 115g light brown muscovado sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 115g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 55g ground almonds
- 2 dessert apples (300g), peeled, cored and chopped into small diced pieces
- 150g fresh raspberries
- 1 x 26cm stoneware shallow rectangular dish
- A small knob of butter
- 14cm x 33cm strip baking paper
- 2 - 3 tablespoons icing sugar for dusting
- Sift the flour and cinnamon into a bowl
- Add the butter and rub together until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and almonds and set to one side.
- Pre-heat the oven 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4 or 160°C for a fan oven
- Cream the softened butter and sugar together in a medium bowl.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and cinnamon, add the ground almonds and mix well.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the dish and spread evenly.
- Make a layer with the apple pieces and fresh raspberries, sprinkle over the prepared crumble topping.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 50 to 55 minutes until golden brown and the centre is firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool before removing from the stoneware dish.
- Cut into squares or fingers and serve with a generous dusting of icing sugar.
A streusel topping can be used to top numerous baked goods such as pies, cakes, muffins, and sweetbreads. A streusel creates a sweet and crumbly texture that elevates simple baked goods. The recipe, in it’s simplest form, contains flour, sugar, and butter. However, spices and chopped nuts can be added if desired.
About this recipe
This Raspberry and Apple Streusel Tray Bake recipe is courtesy of Le Creuset UK. You'll find your nearest Le Creuset store at
Le Creuset Outlet Store
Unit 128D, 50 Pringle Drive, Bicester Village,
Bicester, Oxfordshire OX26 6WD