Rhubarb and Almond Cake Recipe
This Rhubarb and Almond Cake is one of the Yurt Cafe’s best selling cakes. It is delicious when eaten warm with cream, but just as good when eaten cold.
Image: The Yurt at Nicholsons
- 410g butter
- 630g butter
- 550g sugar
- 630g ground almonds
- 380g self-raising flour
- 200g wholemeal flour
- 50g light rye flour
- 4tsp of almond extract
- 9 eggs
- 150ml milk
- Stewed rhubarb
- Cream the butter, sugar and almond extract together until light and fluffy.
- Add the ground almonds, self-raising flour, wholemeal flour, rye flour, beaten eggs and milk.
- Mix until well combined but do not overbeat.
- Line 2 x 26cm round cake tins.
- Divide the mixture in half.
- Put two-thirds of each half of the mixture into each cake tin, followed by a generous layer of the rhubarb.
- Cover the rhubarb layer with the remaining third of the mixture, then dot a small amount of rhubarb over the top.
- Bake at 160ºC (fan) for approximately one hour until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cover with foil if the fruit on the cake starts to burn.
- While the cakes are cooking, simmer some of the rhubarb juice with some sugar until thick and syrupy.
- When the cakes are ready, brush the top all over with the syrup and sprinkle on some toasted flaked almonds.
More from The Oxford Magazine