Oxford has been recognised for having one of the best pizzas in the UK with the Dodo Pub Co. in Oxford named as one of the 16 finalists at this year’s National Pizza Awards.
Back for 2023, the National Pizza Awards will see 16 chefs from across the hospitality sector face off in a live cooking showdown on 21 November at London’s Big Penny Social.
A range of indie names and well-known brands form this year’s outstanding line-up, with street food operator Breadstall Pizza, independent brewery Salt Taps and Margate-based Palms Pizzeria competing against the likes of Neapolitan sourdough specialist Franco Manca, Italian restaurant business Piccolino, and London pizza institution Homeslice.
Kitchen professionals from restaurants, food stalls and pubs across the UK submitted their signature pizza recipes with hopes of making the cut. These will be the pizzas judged at the final next month.
On top of the signature round, the event will see Pizzaiolos take part in a technical challenge, where they will use a selection of sponsor ingredients to make the ultimate creation, which will see one chef win the Pizza Chef of the Year title.
The competition also includes a plant-based round sponsored by former champion Purezza. Winners will be decided by a hand-picked panel of expert industry judges.
“This year drew stellar entries from businesses all over the UK, the sheer scale and quality of which we’ve never seen before,” says Genna Ash-Brown, editor of Dine Out Magazine, which organises the annual event.
“Choosing just 16 from such a high calibre of entries was no mean feat, but we have our 2023 competitors at last – and the line-up is certainly impressive.
“The mix of up-and-coming and well-established names is sure to result in a nail-biting final. We can’t wait for them to step up to the ovens and see who comes out on top!”
The 2023 National Pizza Awards finalists are:
- Breadstall Pizza, London – Cheesy Rider
- Dodo Pub Co, Oxford – Sloppy Napoli
- Franco Manca, London – Finta Diavola
- Homeslice, London – Wagyu
- Mamma Dough, London – John O Goat
- Palms Pizzeria, Margate – Pepperoni, Stracciatella, Hot Honey, Basil & Cracked Pepper
- Piccolino, Stockport – Wrong Marinare
- Pizza Pilgrims, London – Pizza Pilgrims Pizza Chef Competition Champion
- Pizza Punks, Glasgow – Friday Night Curry
- Pizzarova, Bristol – Courgette, Goat’s Cheese, Jalapeño Jam, Garlic Oil
- Salt Taps, Ossett – Oh Honey!
- Slice Shop at Playhouse Bars, Northampton – Dr Pepper BBQ Pizza
- Voodoo Ray’s, London – 22-inch Margherita
- Wells & Co, Arlesey – The Nutty Professor
- Zerodegrees, Bristol – Chingiale
- Zia Lucia, London – Porky Slowdown