For Peter Slade of 2 North Parade Produce Store, the start of the years growing season is always signaled by the arrival of asparagus and he is very lucky to have a farm on our doorstep. Charlie Gee cycles fresh asparagus over to us every day from his Medley Manor farm on Binsey Lane in Oxford. There are so many great ways to eat asparagus; with homemade hollandaise, butter and lemon, in a risotto, tossed in a mixed salad with mozzarella, but his favourite is the fresh, rich, salty contrast of asparagus, eggs and bacon.
- 12 medium asparagus stalks, woody ends removed
- 12 slices of thinly-sliced pancetta or bacon
- Olive oil
- Free range eggs
- Sea salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220C.
- Wrap your asparagus stalks in the pancetta (or bacon) with the tips poking out, and place in a roasting pan.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil and roast in the oven for 10 minutes, until crispy.
- While the asparagus is cooking, carefully place the eggs into lightly salted boiling water, for five minutes, drain then cut off the lids and put them into egg cups.
- Serve with a good pinch of salt and pepper.
Dunk your asparagus soldiers into the soft egg.