Very moist, this Rhubarb and Raspberry Crumble Cake recipe makes as good a pudding, as it does a teatime cake.
Prep time: 20 Mins
Cook time: 1 Hour 20 Mins
Yield: Serves 10
IngredientsFor the cake
- 125g (4¼oz) unsalted butter, more for the tin
- 125g (4¼oz) caster sugar, plus 5 tbsp more for the fruit
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 125g (4¼oz) self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp milk (optional)
- 675g (1lb 8oz) rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 2.5cm (1in) lengths
- 100g (3½oz) raspberries
- icing sugar, to dust
- 170g (6oz) plain flour
- 100g (3½oz) cold unsalted butter, cubbed
- 100g (3½oz) golden caster sugar
- 100g (3½oz) flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Butter a 23cm (9in) springform tin.
- Beat the butter and the 125g (4¼oz) sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs a little at a time, beating well after each addition, then add the vanilla. If the mixture starts to curdle, add 1 tbsp of the flour. Fold in the remaining flour, then add enough milk to give the batter a reluctant dropping consistency. Scrape into the prepared tin.
- Toss the rhubarb and raspberries with the 5 tbsp of caster sugar and spread it over the top of the cake batter. For the crumble, rub the flour and butter together with your fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and almonds and scatter over the fruit.
- Bake for one hour 20 minutes. The top should be golden and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake should come out clean. Leave to cool in the tin, then carefully remove the ring and base. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
Very moist, this makes as good a pudding, as it does a teatime cake.
About this recipe
This Rhubarb and Raspberry Crumble Cake recipe is from SIMPLE: effortless food, big flavours. A cookbook by Diana Henry.