This delightful Strawberry Tarts with Crème Patissiere recipe is quick and easy to prepare, making it an ideal dessert for entertaining.
- 1 pack of Jus Rol Short Crust pastry
- 4 eggs
- 60g caster sugar
- 25g plain flour
- 250ml semi-skimmed milk
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 150g strawberries
- Icing sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Heat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas mark 4.
- Grease six small tart cases.
- Roll the pastry out and cut around a saucer to make six circles. Put each one into the cases.
- Bake the empty pastry cases for ten minutes then remove from the oven and brush with the beaten egg.
- Bake for another five minutes until lightly golden brown. Remove and leave to cool.
- Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until light and creamy.
- Heat the milk until it comes to the boil then remove from the heat.
- Add the flour and cornflour to the egg mix and combine well.
- Pour in the hot milk and beat together. Return to the pan and bring to the boil stirring all the time. As soon as it thickens remove from the heat, leave to cool and cover with cling film to stop a skin forming on the top.
- Pour the crème patissière into the pastry cases.
- Wash the strawberries, remove the stalks and chop in half. Place them onto the crème patissière.
- Garnish with fresh mint and a dusting of icing sugar.
About this recipe
This Strawberry Tarts with Crème Patissiere recipe is courtesy of Elizabeth Gibbs - Food and Drink Editor at The Oxford Magazine.