Vegan-friendly Vanilla Pancakes Recipe
The light and fluffy vanilla pancakes from this recipe make for a great breakfast treat. They are also gluten-free and vegan-friendly!
3-4 mins per pancake
6 to 8 portions
- 160ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 125g gluten-free flour
- ½ tsp gluten-free baking powder
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp agave nectar or maple syrup
- Seeds from 1 vanilla pod or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp readymade apple sauce
- 4 tbsp warm water (optional)
- Coconut oil for cooking
- Maple syrup or readymade salted caramel sauce for serving
- Combine coconut milk and apple cider vinegar and allow to stand for five minutes.
- Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda in a medium-sized bowl.
- Whisk together the coconut and cider vinegar milk mixture, agave nectar or maple syrup, vanilla and apple sauce.
- Add the wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until completely combined.
- If the batter is too stiff, add up to ¼ cup of warm water to create a more liquid consistency. The batter should not be completely runny and still spoon-able.
- Heat a small amount of coconut oil in a non-stick pan. Add one tablespoon of batter, per pancake, to the pan.
- Allow to cook for two minutes or until air bubbles start to form on top of pancakes.
- Flip pancakes over and allow to cook through on medium heat.
- Remove the pancakes on to a warm plate and repeat the cooking process with the remaining batter.
- Serve the pancakes with maple syrup or salted caramel sauce poured over.
More from The Oxford Magazine