Who would have thought that this comforting Pantry Minestrone Recipe could be made with just five ingredients?
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, very thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and halved lengthways, then chopped
- 300ml (10fl oz) versatile tomato sauce
- 4 tbsp dried margheritine soup pasta
- Small handful of frozen or fresh peas
- Generous pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the leek and carrots and cook over a medium heat for at least 5 minutes until the carrots begin to soften.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and 1 litre (1¾ pints) just-boiled water, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the pasta and cook for a further 10 minutes
- Stir through the peas and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and season generously to taste with sea salt and black pepper.
“I love simmering this soup at that point in the week when I’m running out of fresh supplies, or at the end of the month when the bank balance is running low!” —Katy Beskow
If you don’t have any versatile tomato sauce available, add a crushed garlic clove along with the leak, then 1 teaspoon of dried basil or oregano and 400g (14oz) canned chopped tomatoes.
About this recipe
This Pantry Minestrone Recipe is by Katy Beskow, author of “Five Ingredient Vegan” cookbook published by Quadrille Publishing.
Katy Beskow - the author of “15 Minute Vegan”, “Five Ingredient Vegan” cookbook showcases 100 simple yet exciting recipes using five ingredients or fewer. It’s perfect for vegans and non-vegans alike looking for effortless ways to introduce plant-based meals into their everyday cooking.
Katy is the expert on making easy meals for home cooks - even if you’re not confident in the kitchen or with vegan cooking. Using ingredients available from your local supermarket and with a list of larder essentials, you’ll have everything you need to fill food with taste and texture.