Cheesy, tangy and ah-so-comforting, this Welsh Rarebit Stuffed Potatoes Recipe makes for a lunch worth waiting for.
- 4 large baking potatoes, scrubbed clean and dried thoroughly
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 tbsp vegan cream cheese
- 2 tsp English mustard
- Small bunch of chives, finely chopped
- Few drops of vegan Worcestershire sauce (ensure anchovy free)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
- Pierce the potatoes with a fork a few times, then rub in the sunflower oil. Wrap each potato in foil, then bake in the oven for 1½ hours until softened.
- Remove from the oven and carefully fold back the foil. Halve each potato and leave until cool enough to handle. Carefully scoop out the potato flesh from each half into a bowl, leaving about 5mm (¼in) remaining near the skin.
- Mash the potato in the bowl, along with the vegan cream cheese and mustard. Stir in the chives, then load each potato skin with the filling. Place the filled halves in a roasting tin lined with baking parchment and return to the oven to bake for 20 minutes until golden on the top.
- Remove from the oven and dash over the Worcestershire sauce. Season with sea salt and black pepper, garnish with a few extra chopped chives, and chive flowers when in season, if you like, and serve hot.
Cheesy, tangy and ah-so-comforting, these stuffed potatoes are lunch worth waiting for. I often bake the potatoes the evening before, when I already have the oven on for my evening meal, and allow them to cool overnight, ready to put together in no time for lunch.
Alternatively, you could let your slow cooker do the first bake following my recipe for slow cooker jacket potatoes. Opt for vegan cream cheese rather than vegan hard cheese to get a creamier, more buttery texture.
Vegan Worcestershire sauce is available in supermarkets and health-food shops. Some brands contain anchovies, so always double-check the label before purchasing.
About this recipe
This Welsh Rarebit Stuffed Potatoes Recipe is by Katy Beskow, author of “Five Ingredient Vegan” cookbook published by Quadrille Publishing.
Katy Beskow - the author of “15 Minute Vegan”, “Five Ingredient Vegan” cookbook showcases 100 simple yet exciting recipes using five ingredients or fewer. It’s perfect for vegans and non-vegans alike looking for effortless ways to introduce plant-based meals into their everyday cooking.
Katy is the expert on making easy meals for home cooks - even if you’re not confident in the kitchen or with vegan cooking. Using ingredients available from your local supermarket and with a list of larder essentials, you’ll have everything you need to fill food with taste and texture.